Spring has finally sprung and for many of us, the first quarter of the year is over. Whilst the nights are getting lighter and the days warmer, you’ve noticed some of your initial optimism and enthusiasm from the New Year has started to wane…
It seems odd because you started the year energised and focused but things don’t seem to have quite hit the mark. Perhaps you’re not reaching the financial targets you set, or customers are coming in but not as many as you’d like?
And that big AMBITIOUS vision you set now seems a million miles away.
The problem is when you create a vision or set a goal that is big, ambitious and inspiring – it can feel too big because it’s too vague.
If you don’t think about the HOW you’re going to practically achieve it and what steps you need to do each month, quarter and year, then it will always seems like something far away in the distant horizon.
And if you’re still growing, then at best it can feel ambitious but unrealistic and at worse, too far away that it’s demoralising.
What can you do?
Tip 1. Get specific on the detail
When the vision starts to feel too big and unachievable you need to add in the detail around it.
For example…if you want to be the No.1 agency in the UK, then think about what does being No.1 really mean?
What does it look like?
- What does achieving your vision or aim look like?
- What type of clients/customers are you working with?
- What type of work are you doing and NOT doing?
- How many people in your team? How many offices and countries are you in?
- What are you spending YOUR time doing? And importantly, what are you NOT spending time on?
- And by when? 3, 5, 10 years away? Whatever it is – put a date on it.
The clearer you are on the detail of what your vision looks like, the easiest it becomes to starting planning the way there.
Tip 2: Identify what needs to change
If you’re going to achieve your vision in 3 years, then you have 36 months starting from now to get there.
- What are your priorities?
- What do you need to start doing differently?
Tip 3: Break it down into sizeable chunks
The problem with the big aim is that it was too big to bite off! Once you’ve focused on priorities, you need to start focusing on creating actions that you can actually ACHIEVE.
- What are the 3 most important things you need to do this year, this quarter, this month, this week?
- What’s the ONE small step you need to take NOW?
Tip 4: Keep up the momentum
Once you’ve started, you’ll want to keep up the momentum
Whether this is an action plan online, a coach, a mentor, an industry buddy – something or someone to help keep you on track, help make you accountable and celebrate your successes with.
- Who or what is yours? Choose one.
What small steps are you taking towards achieving your big ambitious vision? How are you making it achievable? Would love to hear your thoughts….